Saturday 4 April 2015

Easter Festivities

Continuing my resolution to celebrate all the seasons of the year, spring is well under way, and I have bedecked my kitchen in Easter decorations. Most of my seasonal decor finds its way onto the piano. Music features heavily in my life, so it seems to make sense that the piano (which resides in the kitchen/diner where we spend most of our time), becomes the focus for my themed trimmings, and it seemed to work particularly well with my Easter artefacts. My post-Christmas blues have passed, and as the weather warms up and the garden comes to life, I feel my spirits rise. I really enjoyed putting this display together, and will probably extend it from year to year (there were some ideas I didn't have time to complete this year). Easter is one of my favourite times of year, with its own special atmosphere. I always feel there is a sense of peace and tranquility over the Easter weekend, and these little celebrations provide a cheerful motif to look forward to each year.



My decorations began with an 'Easter Tree.' I still haven't found a little twig tree with fairy lights (I liked the idea of re-using one throughout the year with different seasonal decorations). In the absence of finding one I like for a reasonable price, this variation on a 'tree' is really twigs of forsythia and flowering currant from my Dad's garden, arranged in a vase, with Easter decorations adorning them. I think these decorations are by Gisella Graham, who does a wonderful seasonal range, differing each year. You can usually find them online, or in 'crafty shops.' 

As well as the 'Easter Tree' I added some green organza fabric, and lots of other spring-themed tokens. I usually try to avoid chocolate (this year, there was more forth-coming than usual), and many of these items make great substitutes. Several were gifts for my little boy, new to us this year. He was very excited to see them on Easter morning. Included in my Easter arrangement, there are duck, rabbit and bird soft toys, some eggs decorated with tissue paper, a little primrose in a teacup and saucer (technically a Mother's Day gift, but I included it because it seemed to fit), rabbit ears, a bowl of daffodils, and various crafts my son made in an Easter basket. The two chicks in the nest were new gifts (one hops, one cheaps - both were about £1 each), as well as a hopping rabbit. These were intended as chocolate substitutes, but we did end up with some chocolate eggs, too (as you see).




There are also two variations on a theme that I made using string and a balloon. The first is the nest. This is just made using garden twine, dipped in PVA glue, and wrapped around the balloon to create a nest shape. Once dried, it is reasonably sturdy and convincing (as well as very easy to make). The second is the 'grass basket' (which contains some small chocolates). This was made using a similar technique, draping cut lengths of wool dipped in PVA glue over a balloon. This was more time consuming, and I didn't have time to add as many layers as I'd have liked, so it isn't as sturdy, but I like the overall effect. 



Outdoor Easter Tree

I had not one, but two attempts at Easter themed activities this year, because we were away in Scotland during the run up to Easter. So we had an Easter outdoors, prior to making my indoor display over the weekend. I've heard that some villages adorn their trees with Easter ornaments, which I think is a lovely idea. They looked beautiful hanging on a moss covered tree, with the sun shining behind them (I don't think they'd have liked being left out in the rain, though).








Easter Wreath

Lastly, I made this wreath for Easter. I saw some beautiful ideas on Pinterest, but had minimal time in the end, so this is rustic and simple! It combines symbols of a mish-mash of different faiths. At the end of the day the Easter we have come to know is based on a combination of different cultural traditions. So here we have a rustic wooden cross (this was bought from a Palestinian charity). Some baby chicks on a mossy twig, on a straw wreath. And a couple of sheep purchased on my travels (these also come out at Christmas - I think they were from Peru, if memory serves). There is yellow organza fabric tied around the top of the wreath, and draped behind, which looks like sunshine shining through the window all day long.




Children's Easter Book Recommendations

And finally, for parents who, like me, are looking for alternatives to chocolate for Easter (albeit some chocolate seems to have crept into our household this year), I have a tradition of giving a book to my son for an Easter present (preferably something vaguely themed). Though none of these are specifically about Easter, they feature Spring-like story-lines and pictures, and seem appropriate for the season. These are some of my recommendations:


For the under twos (from age 0+), 'Hello Bunny,' and 'Good Morning Bluebird,' both Peek-a-boo adventure board-books, by Parragon Books.

For age 3+ :
'Rabbit Ears' by Amber Stewart, illustrated by Laura Rankin, Bloobsbury paperbacks.
'Pig's Egg' (my son's current favourite), by Katherine Sully, illustrated by Sam Chaffey, published by Cupcake.
'Frog on the Log' by Leyland Perree, illustrated by Joelle Dreidemy, published by Cupcake.
'Everybody Loves Butterflies' by Tanis Taylor, illustrated by Masumi Furukawa, by Parragon Books.

Recommendations welcome for Easter themed books for older children, as I intend to continue this tradition as my son grows older.

No comments:

Post a Comment