Monday 6 April 2015

Chesterfield's Crooked Spire









I developed my passion for photography while travelling the world. It's surprisingly easy to overlook local landmarks, and never appreciate what's on our own doorstep, forgetting that what may be an everyday sight to some of us, is a tourist attraction to someone else from further afield. 
Despite frequently passing Chesterfield's Crooked Spire, I had only ever once been inside the church, and had never climbed the spire (which is infrequently open to tourists). On Easter Monday, I climbed the 144 steps up the tower, carrying a three-year-old (who went off the idea of climbing them himself upon arrival) , and a camera. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I could barely walk for several days afterwards, but I was glad I made the effort to appreciate this quirky, one-of-a-kind church, despite my jelly-legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment