Thursday 8 March 2018

International Women's Day

On International Women's Day, as every day, I wonder about the girl and woman my daughter might have grown into, and the relationship I might have had with her. Who she might have been, what she might have achieved, and how her world might have differed to mine.

"Lucky," they all said. "One of each, the perfect family."
"A daughter's a daughter all of your life; a son's a son 'til he takes a wife"...

My hope for my only living child - who happens to be a boy - is that he will grow up unrestrained by stereotypes or societal constraints; one of which is still, to this day, gender.
If I can succeed in raising him as a person, and a decent human being, I hope the women in his future will wonder why #InternationalWomensDay was ever a label.

No comments:

Post a Comment